Social issue topics are devoted to certain social aspects of life that are current for the people of some society or even are world-related. Frequently, these topics are controversial and sensitive, so it is better to follow a well-balanced approach for getting good outcomes.
Any social issue should be analyzed in context and requires careful preparation. First of all, you should choose your topic wisely.
How to Choose Your Topic?
The range of topics may vary. The only thing is that they should be socially-related. This means your topic should cover important existing and developing society-related matters. In any case, try to speak about some issues you are familiar with.
We don’t recommend you choosing only a topic that is generally speaking about.
Of course, you may look through social media, newspapers, and magazines for inspiration. Still, we suggest you choose only those topics that move you personally in some way. Usually, when a person outlines one’s preferences, such ideas come first. The perfect option here is finding the most suitable topic in the midway between your interests and social tendencies. After choosing this topic, we suggest you paying attention to several issues.
Things to Consider before Starting Your Work
First of all, access, whether your topic is sensitive or not. If yes, it is important to treat it more carefully and be moderate in your judgments, unless making hot discussions is not your primary goal. If it is not, it is better to set your limits of what you want and can say. Your paper will be more specific thanks to this approach.
If your topic is related to controversies, make sure you have enough evidence to prove your point of view. For more of social topics, this advice works well.
Keep in mind your target audience. Your essay should be people-specific. Describe the portrait of your target audience: age, preferences, value, attitude, etc. If this is an essay only, your target audience may be limited to a couple of persons only. Still, it is necessary to find a balance between the expectations of your target audience and your preferences about a topic. The right language will help you in presenting your point of view smoothly.
We suggest you keep these three important aspects in mind and start your writing after you have clarified them.
Crafting Your Paper
After forming a background of your paper or speech about social issues, we suggest you develop a text step-by-step. Here are the stages we suggest you pass.
Conduct careful research on your topic. You need to collect various sources of information, preferably official or from books of reputable authors. While you are doing this research, prepare notes with the most important points you want to highlight in your paper or speech.
Finding examples that can support your opinion, especially for a controversial topic, is especially important. Think as your reviewer or better as your opponent in this case to see weak points of your position. Your examples have to strengthen your opinion. Select such pieces of information only.
During your research, it is also important to check social opinion about the matter you are going to speak about. Social media can partially work for this purpose well. Various flashmobs usually signify that certain issues are important for people. You may refer to this aspect in your future paper or speech also. Newspapers and articles, including specialized sociological, also can give you a lot of useful information about your topic. Make your research comprehensive.
Let’s say you have notes with ideas, examples, and the main idea of your topic; without proper planning that will be difficult to organize everything well. So, outlining your paper is important. Take a paper and list all ideas you have, including those you have in your notes. After you see all of them, formulate your principal statement. Take another paper and place this statement first. List all other ideas according to their relevance – from more to less important. Highlight in this plan points where you want to include examples.
Drafting and revising
After you have formed your outline, start writing, and rely on this outline. Make your first draft freely, keeping in mind only your target audience and tone of your writing. It is good to set your ready text for some time before starting to editing it.
When you look at your text with your fresh look, you can more likely notice all obvious deficiencies. For a more precise review, we suggest you use editing tools.
They will highlight all improper wordings and sentences in your text. Amend only if you agree with them. Any tool is a technical mean first, and the essence of your text should not suffer. The final polishing is checking grammar and punctuation of your text.
List of Topics for Practicing
If you have already grasped our suggestions, we advise you to practice in expanding social issues topics. Here are plenty of topics for you.
- What are human rights and how to protect them?
- How the risk of terrorism affects human rights?
- Is capital punishment really necessary?
- Internal policies of corporations and the conception of human rights.
- Do control and surveillance violate human rights in fact?
- Are the human rights of women protected only formally?
- Is police helpful in protecting human rights?
- How do social media protect human rights?
- How do social media violate human rights?
- Free love in modern society as the expression of certain human rights.
- Modern human rights that arise nowadays.
- Human life and dignity as the primary value in society.
- Organizations that protect human rights in society and their role in society.
- How human rights protection can ensure better social order?
- What any member of society should know about human rights?
- How to promote education about human rights in society?
- What kinds of human rights require protection urgently?
- Social stratification and human rights.
- Diversity of confessions in modern society.
- The role of religion for making changes in society.
- Relation of religion and state in the modern world.
- Does religion still have the same influence as 100 years ago?
- What religious norms have transformed into social rules?
- Religion and sexuality.
- How business and religion are connected?
- What is the role of priests in modern society?
- The relation of science and religion in modern society.
- Is Bible a forgotten book?
- LGBT+ and religion.
- Is it appropriate to promote religions?
- Certain types of confessions people should avoid.
- Radical religious movements.
- How religions can be used for illegal activities?
- What makes religion attractive to people nowadays?
- How to ensure freedom of religion in the modern world?
- Religious rituals and gatherings as a form of social communication.
- How different religions can organically exist in one society?
Discrimination and Violence
- Are existing policies really capable to protect from discrimination?
- Can discrimination be normal in some cases?
- How to prevent discrimination in society?
- What social groups are most vulnerable to discrimination?
- Why men treat women discriminatively?
- Why women treat men discriminatively?
- How to prevent existing of different working conditions for women and men?
- How to tackle racial issues in society?
- How discrimination may affect gender identification?
- Blame for the white privilege.
- About the upbringing of racism in the form of skinheads.
- Influence of discrimination on mental health and how to cure oneself effectively.
- Social institutes preventing discrimination.
- Is complete equality possible someday?
- Will be gun control able to restrict violence?
- How violent movies impact the modern world?
- Ways for preventing bullying in modern society
- How to protect pregnant women from discrimination?
- Home violence as a social tendency.
- Sports and discrimination.
- Aggression and abuse towards children.
- Prevention of child discrimination.
- Ways for preventing racism.
- Segregation as a form of discrimination.
- Violence against ethical groups.
- Shaming for human deficiencies.
Economical Issues in Society
- The ratio between wealth and poor people in society.
- Is poverty blamed in society?
- Consumerism attitude in the modern world.
- Unemployment in developing countries.
- The influence of globalization on society and economics.
- How global warming and economic development are related?
- Can capitalism be treated as a destructive tendency?
- The role of charities in modern economies.
- Fundraising is a social tendency.
- Reasons for riots.
- Ways for making consumption sustainable.
- When labor laws are started to be treated as unfair?
- What compulsory steps should any society take to combat poverty?
- What power buyers have?
- Ways for ensuring sustainable development.
- What the dynamics of consumption can tell about a nation?
- Does the business have to be socially oriented?
- The influence of business on social trends.
- Preventing economic crisis through socially active position.
War and Conflicts
- Major reasons for wars.
- Regulations during wars.
- Ways for preventing social conflicts.
- Where parties take resources for wars and hot to prevent such supplies?
- How to detect and prevent war crimes?
- Does ethics is possible during the war?
- Private military companies: their role and regulation.
- The role of peace education for preventing wars.
- Basic military education.
- Women during wars.
- Ways for preventing social conflicts.
- Means for resolving social conflicts.
- How war can be stopped?
- Refugees in the modern world.
- Which spheres of economics can suffer from war conflicts?
- Children during war conflicts.
- How to cure society after the war conflict?
- Global war crimes.
- How the media influence wars?
- Peace education as a mean of preventing social conflicts and wars.
- Forced migration during war conflicts.
- How to detect social trends?
- How to provide social researches?
- Ways for ensuring reliable results of social researches.
- How social researches can help to prevent social problems?
- What types of social researches may be handled?
- A way for detecting social problems that emerge?
- Major types of societies.
- How the influence of social crises can be measured?
- History and social science.
- Social monitoring.
- The role of flashmobs in the modern world.
- How social media promote social gatherings?
- Social movements and their triggers.
- How society can cope with an overload of information about social events?
- Handling mass protests.
- Socially active citizens in each society.
- The role of the Internet in communication during social events.
- Combating racism through social gatherings.
- Violence during social events.
- The impact of global tendencies on interstate social events.
- Black men protection movements.
Mix of Social Issues
- Dealing with demographic challenges in society.
- Cases of social isolation.
- Using animal for testing.
- The role of teenagers in modern society.
- How volunteering can promote ethical values?
- The role of charity in modern society.
- Social entrepreneurship as a way of resolving many existing problems.
- Ensuring Internet safety in modern society.
- Cybercrime as a modern challenge.
- Social causes of crimes.
- How art can influence the growth of society?
- Pop culture and its role in society.
- How architecture reflects the level of social development and maturity?
- Preserving natural landscapes inside social communities.
- Good habits of peoples from successful societies.
- How music can impact social growth?
- What groups of people are the main social influencers?
- Justice as an important legal and social institute.
- Ways for ensuring social growth.
- How cultural trends can affect the growth of society?
- Effective interaction of state authorities and state institutes.
- Role of children in shaping society.
- How to ensure the growth of third world countries?
- Securing national identity in globalized circumstances.
- Obesity as a social tendency in some countries.
- How societies can contribute to resolving global problems?
- Is it necessary to ensure free education in any society?
- Legalization of drugs.
- Ethical and social issues of early abortion.
- Sports events and their role in society.
- Socially acceptable forms of behavior.
- Interaction between various societies: how to conduct effectively.
- Multiethnic societies and their ways of being.
- What compulsory limits should exist in any society?
- Limits of the distance between societies: in which case issues stop to be internal only?
- Social aspects of advertising.
- How third world countries can impact the world?
- Eating disorders as a current social tendency.
- Fast foods in society.
- Preventing and combating global warming at the level of each society.
- What role TV has in the modern world?
- Does theater cease.
- To be popular in society?
- How leisure activities may characterize society?
- Which societies exist longer?
- How humanitarian missions can help in resolving various social problems?
- How standards of beauty are formed in society?
Social issues topics are extremely interesting not from the informational point but also from the point of finding the right manner of communication with your target audience, even if it is limited to a couple of reviewers.
Pick those topics you are familiar with, and you can expand properly. Do your comprehensive research and list all important ideas for your future essay or speech. Make your outline from these ideas by ranging them from more to less important.
Writing is good if you make a couple of drafts. The first one will express your thoughts only. For the next versions, you can amend a text where this is necessary for making it more meaningful and flowing.
As in the case with any type of writing work, practice matters here. So, feel free to practice a lot.