Debates are places of hot discussions, brainstorming, and sharing opinions. Many people afraid of debates, but these are places for their growth. Debates can help you in developing great skills and even finding good friends. Don’t be afraid of debates. We have helpful tips for handling your stress and gaining good experience.
Debates are organized events where participants discuss some topics by developing their arguments in favor of one point or another. The debaters usually require to provide careful preparatory work. Still, in some cases, they can have only a couple of minutes to prepare their speech. This makes debates challenging and interesting at the same time.
Some debates are organized in a manner enabling you to prepare, present, and discuss your point of view about some topics. Usually, you have limited time to prepare your speech.
Major Types of Debates
You can participate in group debates or present your own point of view. These types have some common things, like timing, usually scoring, and tips for preparing your speech. At the same time, both types of debates have their specifics.
If these are group debates, usually you should choose inside of your group a person who will present the developed opinion. It is also necessary to be coherent inside of your group and develop your general point of view that all members will adhere to. This is important as usually presentations are scored. So, ensure you eliminate the risk of decreasing your performance and scores because of answers that contradict each other.
Individual debates are much simpler in this case. You need to rely only on yourself and can feel free in this case. You can also arrange your preparation and presentation faster.
If you are new in debates, we suggest you start from group debates. You will be able to look at how experienced debaters work and learn to present your point of view in a gentler manner for you. Still, if you have enough courage, you may also start from individual debates. If you are afraid of both types, we suggest you go and only look at how they are handled. This will help you a lot. We understand that participating in debates may turn into great stress, so we have prepared helpful info for you.
If you experience stress about participating in debates, you should know that you are not the only one. Even very experienced debaters confess they are afraid of making their speeches. Still, usually, it is only before the start. If you manage to handle your emotions, you forget about fear and focus on making your speech only. This helps dramatically. Nobody notices your first anxiety and listen to your speech only.
Scientists have even proved that public speaking causes the same fear when you risk dying. Sounds serious, isn’t it? So, to handle this fear, we have good tips for you.
Organize yourself well
If you have a topic before participating, you should develop it properly. Yes, some clubs may have a meeting devoted to the discussion of certain aspects. That is a good chance to gain good experience and confidence.
At this point, you need to handle careful research. Do your best to find and select only reliable info on a subject. This may be official data of state and municipal authorities, info prepared by reputable NGOs, experts, etc. Your task is to collect as much useful info as possible but access it critically. You should look at it impartially and develop your point of view on the subject. It may be turned out to be incoherent with the generally accepted. Don’t be afraid of that. Debates are exactly to present your own point of view. If your opinion does not align with the common one, you need only think about it more precisely. Perhaps, you have discovered some extremely important aspects that change the situation dramatically. This can make debates even hotter. So, don’t miss your chance.
During this research, make your notes about the topic to help yourself. These preliminary ideas enable you to organize your thoughts and form a clear picture of the subject. When you have completed this preparatory work, outline your principal point of view. Afterward, organize your ideas from the most relevant and important to fewer ones. This will help you a lot. Another important point – don’t omit some of your notes that have not been included in your outline. Keep them nearby. They can help you in further developing of ideas.
If you participate in improvised debates, the approach is the same. Let’s say you have no time to conduct extensive research, but you should always outline all your ideas before the presentation. If these are improvised debates, you need only look at your outline to reassure that all important points are fixed and prepare yourself for presentation. If you have time to prepare your text in advance, we suggest writing down your future speech. Here is what we have for you.
When you have your organized ideas, start writing. We suggest you making this in advance to prepare one draft or two. For the first one, write it from one attempt. You should focus only on your outline and express all your thoughts freely. Yes, even if some thoughts may sound inappropriate, you may amend such later. Still, they have to appear in your speech as they help to expand your personal point of view. Debates are always personalized.
After you have prepared the first draft, you may amend it by using various editing online tools. They will point out all the weak points of your text and long sentences. Split such sentences to present your opinion easier for your listeners. This is important because you will have limited time to make your speech. The shorter your phrases – the better it is for you and your audience. The last aspect also matters a lot in this case.
Let’s say you have a text that reflects your thoughts. Still, if you write it to present to other people, you need to think about such people. How can you describe them? What attitude and mindset they may have? Your speech for debates should be people-specific. This means you need to choose the most appropriate manner for presenting your ideas, especially when they contradict the commonly accepted. If you need to rewrite your first draft, don’t be upset about that. This means that you only make it better.
After you have finished your second draft, set it aside for some time. Afterward, return to it and polish by using grammar checkers. Read it for yourself first. If you have a chance to pass it to someone else for feedback, certainly do this, especially if this person is more experienced in debates. After getting this feedback, amend your paper if this is necessary. Yes, only if you think this is necessary. First of all, you should present your point of view. Even if it is wrong and you make a mistake, this experience can help you to learn something important. Yes, keep in mind also that all debaters made mistakes, but they kept moving. You also should. We have presentation tips for this also.
Before making your presentation, we suggest you memorize your speech. This is especially important for your first experience. This way, you will feel more confident. The audience will feel that, and you increase the chances of a good presentation.
Good preparation and memorizing will help you in coping with possible anxiety. Still, it is not enough. Before starting your preparation, avoid focusing on such negative feelings. This way, you will only increase it. Your main focus should be your content and target audience. You may also try to switch from anxiety to anticipation of a good presentation. This way, you tune your brain to work in this direction, and you will nearly automatically choose the most appropriate manner of presentation.
Answering questions usually follow your presentation. Express gratitude for each question you get, even if some of them are unpleasant. Your task here is to be sincerely grateful for good questions and polite for the rest. Answer such questions to the point. This will show you are good at your topic and make this presentation a number of times better.
Topics to Practice
Even good tips are not enough for good practice. You should participate in debates as soon as you have got chances for that. Still, to develop the necessary preparation and presentation skills, we have picked for you a list of helpful topics to practice.
- Ban of homework is better for education.
- Blocking social media is important for a properly organized learning process.
- Uniform is required in some cases.
- Standardized tests have become ineffective.
- Job or internship after classes is required for any student.
- Athletics in high school should be promoted for better health.
- Student loan debt should not exist at all.
- Religious education at schools.
- Private schools are more effective than state ones.
- Sexual education at school.
- Skills of teachers should be periodically tested.
- Studies at home are more convenient and can be no less effective.
- Praying during studies should not be allowed.
Political and Social
- Private guns are must-have tools nowadays.
- The death penalty should exist as an effective mean of crime prevention.
- We need to address global warming issues effectively if we want to be alive.
- Watching violent films and movies should be restricted.
- Sex work should be legalized for preventing severe consequences.
- Countries should isolate themselves to some extent to save their identity in the globalized world.
- Abortion is the right.
- The political system should not be too much diverse.
- Some categories of citizens should not have voting rights.
- Social rights can be restricted in some cases.
- Cloning people is possible and desired in some cases.
- What is better: to be rich and dishonest or honest but poor?
- Are there any reasons for justifying wars?
- Social media platforms can substitute living communication.
- The nuclear sector has to be private only.
- A good death is better than poor living.
- Human lives can be prolonged thanks to modern technologies.
- Clinical trials with humans.
- Genetics vs. personal actions: what determines your life more?
- Self-education should substitute schools.
- Alternative sources of energy will substitute traditional ones.
- Health diet is important to everyone.
- People should become vegetarians because.
- Ensuring universal nature of healthcare is important.
- Euthanasia is required in certain cases and should be allowed.
- Smoking should be prohibited.
- Obesity should be treated as a disease.
- Transplantation cannot ensure the required positive effect.
- Birth control is important in any society.
- Basic medical education should be guaranteed to everyone.
- Drugs for medical purpose ceased stopped to be effective.
- Alternatives to traditional medicine.
- Ways for preventing cancer.
- Bulimia should be combated more effectively.
- Mental distress can prevent many diseases.
- The healthcare system is outdated.
- Herbs can become a good mean in medicine.
- 1. Books become outdated.
- TV is better than theatre.
- Social networking may be pointless or even harmful.
- Social media can make people less tolerate.
- Music can decrease the level of stress.
- Art therapy is the best tool for exploring yourself.
- Video games are also a part of modern education.
- Scientific clubs represent new cognitive possibilities for people.
- The movie industry is the major in our culture.
Preparing for debates is easy if you know certain helpful tips and ready to handle your stress. Everybody experience it, you may be sure. Still, only those participants who prepare well and manage to cope with emotions will have more chances for good debate experience. It is possible for everyone. We wish you a lot of good debate experience.